CANADIAN EPICS IN RADIOCOMMUNICATION
ALUMNI WHO LIVED THE ADVENTURE OF RADIO
WIRELESS TELEGRAPHISTS - SPARKS - RADIO PIONEERS
RADIO OPERATORS - RADIO TECHNICIANS
RADIO TECHNOLOGISTS - RADIO ENGINEERS
RADIO INSPECTORS - SPECTRUM MANAGERS
ÉPOPÉES CANADIENNES EN RADIOCOMMUNICATION
LES ANCIENS QUI ONT VÉCU L'AVENTURE DE LA RADIO
TÉLÉGRAPHISTES SANS FIL - PIONNIERS DE LA RADIO
OPÉRATEURS RADIO - TECHNICIENS RADIO
TECHNOLOGUES RADIO - INGÉNIEURS RADIO
INSPECTEURS RADIO - GESTIONNAIRES DU SPECTRE
Cecil Doutre, the Dominion Superintendent of Wireless Stations for the Department of Marine and Fisheries, obtained approval to establish a chain of wireless stations between Vancouver and Prince Rupert.
In 1906, Mr. Doutre and Mr. Eddie Hughes made a site selection tour aboard the CGS Quadra, and selected Gonzales Hill (Victoria), Pachena Point at the entrance to Juan de Fuca Strait, Estevan Point, Triangle Island, Ikeda Head and Digby Island close to Prince Rupert.
On July 20, 1907, the SS Maude sailed from Victoria with material and personnel to build the wireless station. SS Quadra also left on July 20 with Doutre on board for site inspection.
Establishment of the chain of six coast stations on the
west coast was completed in 1908. The one in Pachena was not put back into
operation until 1910, with the call sign "KPD", and the operator-in-charge
was A. Buchanan assisted by
In December of the same year, Cecil
Doutre was promoted to Departmental Agent for Purchasing and
Contracts. He was replaced by C.P. Edwards,
who was proficient in both Morse code and landline telegraphy, and had good
knowledge of wireless operations.
In 1910, the Department's Wireless Telegraphy Division was incorporated into the new Department of the Naval Service.
Links - Liens